Daiya Mitchell

Thanks, Margaret. I've been semi-wondering about that one too.
DM

On 7/27/05 2:59 AM, "Margaret Aldis" wrote:

It really depends on the application. Some good reasons for using character
styles a

* Allows you to distinguish between emphasis, titles and foreign phrases,
for instance, and then if necessary change the formatting for one but not
another
* Allows you to set language as well as combinations of font formatting.
Useful if, for example, you don't want to spell check the foreign phrases
* Allows you to protect document for styles, to lock formatting down (Word
2003)

On the other hand, if all you want is bold and italic, the toggling toolbar
buttons are useful and the styles may be overkill.

--
Margaret Aldis - Microsoft Word MVP

"Jackie D" wrote in message
Right. So if I want to italicise a word for emphasis, film titles etc
would
you recommend using direct formatting and just applying italics in the
usual
way i.e. without doing it through styles?

I read somewhere that is it never a good idea to use direct formatting
--

Many thanks
JD