Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Klaus Linke Klaus Linke is offline

Default Why can't I insert an index?

Hi Ange,

If Word says there's an index, let's first assume it's right g...
What happens if you use GoTo (Ctrl+G), then "Field INDEX"?

If you see the field code { Index ...}, use Ctrl+F9 to toggle the view.

Regards,
Klaus

"Ange" wrote:
I use Word 2007 and have a 150+ page document. I have manually marked over
300 entries, some with subcategories and others with cross references.
When I
try to insert an index, it asks me if I want to override an existing index
(which there isn't one?) and then it does *nothing*.

I have followed step-by-step the instructions in the Microsoft Word help
file and it won't do anything. This is beyond frustrating both my coworker
and I, and she even went so far as to manually create an index, by hand,
which took her days.

Is there something I'm missing? I'm going through it all, step-by-step. It
just won't do much of anything. And, if there was a previous index, how do
clear it? Any help would be MUCH appreciated... thanks!