Lasandra

Default File Names/hyperlinks in Master Documents referring to Subdocument

I'm creating a master document with hyperlinks to about 30 subdocuments.
I would like to change the file name/hyperlink from the one microsoft
automatically assigns to one I choose, for several reasons:
1. Several of the file names start with the same word, so that all of the
file paths appear the same within the master document.
2. The date the file was last updated is part of the file name I choose. I
plan on using the master document on a long term bases, updating the
subdocuments and I want to be able to change the date in the file
name/hyperlink to reflect the most recent changes so that people know they
are looking at recent information.
3. For a cleaner document appearance, I would rather not have the file
pathway shown in the master document.

All of this brings me to the fact that I'd like to know how to change the
file name/hyperlink that is in the master document. This is different from
changing the actual file name of the subdocument/updating the file pathway to
the subdocument, which I know how to do.
I've tried to edit the file name/hyperlink as a normal hyperlink and it
won't allow me to. I've also tried to highlight the hyperlink and right
click on it and the edit option is not available.
Can anyone give me some advise on how to update the file name/hyperlink in
the master document?
Thanks!