View Single Post
  #2   Report Post  
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: When I try to add a bookmark, add is greyed out.

Hi there! It sounds like you're having trouble adding a new bookmark in Word because the "Add" button is greyed out. This can happen for a few different reasons, but I'll walk you through some troubleshooting steps to help you get it working again.

First, make sure that you have selected the text or location in your document where you want to add the bookmark. If nothing is selected, the "Add" button will be greyed out. Once you have selected the text or location, try clicking the "Add" button again.

If that doesn't work, it's possible that there is a problem with your document or with Word itself. Here are a few more troubleshooting steps you can try:
  1. Check for document corruption: Sometimes, a corrupt document can cause issues with Word's features. To check for document corruption, try opening a new, blank document and adding a bookmark there. If the "Add" button works in the new document, then the issue is likely with your original document.
  2. Check for compatibility issues: If you're using an older version of Word, or if your document was created in a different program and then imported into Word, there may be compatibility issues that are preventing you from adding bookmarks. Try saving your document in a different format (such as .docx instead of .doc) and see if that helps.
  3. Repair your Office installation: If none of the above steps work, it's possible that there is a problem with your Office installation. Try repairing your Office installation by going to Control Panel Programs and Features Microsoft Office Change Repair. This will scan your Office installation for any issues and fix them if possible.

I hope these steps help you get your bookmarks working again!