Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

Default Graphic Element for Chapter Head

My readers are going to be scrolling through
this document on their computers more often than reading it in print, and I
want that graphic to show up! Any ideas?

Do they need to *edit* the doc?, that's the question. If the answer is "No",
why not give them a PDF instead of a 'live' Word doc? Other comments
inserted in line:

"Mary Lee" wrote in message
I'm creating a template in Word 2003. I want to use a small graphic
element
on the right margin of the chapter heads (Heading 1). No problem - just
set a
right tab and insert the appropriate symbol - except I don't want it in my
header when I have StyleRef pick it up, and I don't really want it in my
TOC,
either.

Is this "symbol" a graphic object or an actual character (as in
InsertSymbol = T)?

If a character, you can cut it, then use EditPaste Special to paste it back
in as an Enhanced Metafile. It then becomes a graphic object which isn't a
part of the Heading as long as you set its Layout Wrapping Style to
something other than In Line with Text. (This also applies if the "symbol"
is already a graphic object.) I'd suggest using "Behind Text". You'll
probably need to use the Crop Tool on the Picture toolbar to reduce the size
of the bounding box created around the graphic, and you won't need the Tab
in your heading. If you distribute as a Word file, however, each graphic
will be movable. Also see the point further on about 'Anchors'.

Next I created a drawing object that serves my purpose but I want to
anchor it on that heading - and it would be nice to see it, too. Print
preview doesn't always show it when it is there. I have to hit a key or
something for it to show up. My readers are going to be scrolling through
this document on their computers more often than reading it in print, and
want that graphic to show up! Any ideas?

The 'missing' graphic could be that you have Drawing Objects unchecked in
your Print Options & you've stumbled on a keystroke to toggle it on - but I
sure can't find one So, more likely, it is an issue with the driver for
your display adapter needing to be updated. Possibly a printer issue as
well.

BTW - Is this the same "graphic" referred to above?

I've been doing some reading but have not found the answer yet. A heading
somewhere that says "working with anchors" tells me how to unlink them,
but
not how to link one to a header (or anywhere else for that matter) in the
first place.

All objects are anchored in some way - that's how Word works. It's kinda
like they're foreign bodies in the blood stream (i.e., text flow). If the
Layout - Wrapping mentioned above is set to In Line With Text it is
"anchored" into the text line just like any other character. When any other
style of wrapping is applied the object becomes free-floating, but is still
anchored to a paragraph - that's what the anchor symbol at the beginning of
a para represents, although the graphic itself can be anywhere on the same
page. If the anchor is not "Locked" *it* can be moved to a different para to
anchor its graphic to that para, but the graphic isn't locked in any way. If
the anchor *is* "Locked" it can no longer be dragged and the graphic remains
anchored to the same para. Either way the graphic will always remain on the
same page as the para to which it is anchored.

Thanks!
--
Mary Lee

As you can tell, keeping objects in precise locations in an *editable* Word
doc is an ongoing challenge - especially if handled by multiple users who
may or may not understand the principles behind the scenes. All the more
reason to consider my first suggestion re PDF 8-)
--
HTH |:)
Bob Jones