Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default A Better Solution?

Hi Rebecca

Rebecca wrote:
Yes, Robert, the scanned book contains dozens and dozens of color pictures,
and yes, that's the actual size of the file. I know, at first I thought it
was a bug (say, my computer was not reading the file size correctly) or I was
losing my eyesight or my mind.

Wasn't thinking about a bug, but I've seen my share of 300 page (and
lots more) files in Word, and one file with 300 pages, esp. if it is a
converted thingy, is unbeleivable to be less than 30 KByte in size --
and that's w/o pictures! :-)

It does seem impossible (and I've been experimenting with various scanned
images for years to get the file sizes down). Try it out and you'll see.
It's almost a miracle (if you've got a ton of scanned material in PDF files,
that is). And frankly, navigating PDF files in Acrobat is a pain (slow as
molasses, despite some nice functions, though). But with a Tablet PC, you
can ink and do other thinks with the images in MS Word with no problem, and
it still does not increase the file size too much (though I haven't been
highlighting that much yet).

You are talking about the "full" Acrobat (not the Reader), right?
Haven't got that one any of the systems I'm working at these days,
unfortunately. But if the file is as small as you say it is, can you
send it to me for inspection? I'm _very_ dubious I must admit. Sheer
information theory would prohibit compression in the magnitude we're
discussion here (well, that's not quite right: you can compress the
whole Bible into 1 bit, but then the whole Bible text must be part of
the decompressing algorithm -- and I very much doubt Acrobat hacked the
Word executables ... ;-)).

Greetinx from good old Europe
Robert
--