Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Malcolm Patterson Malcolm Patterson is offline

Default long hyphen

This is true, but alas, when you get an en dash in this manner, the space
before the dash remains, which is incorrect (it *must* be removed to
correctly punctuate the document).

An en dash can be inserted with Ctrl+Num- (the minus key in the numeric
keypad)

An em dash can be inserted with Ctrl+Alt+Num-

Both can be inserted using the Insert/Symbol menu's special characters tab.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

If you have the relevant option selected in Tools | AutoCorrect | AutoFormat
As You Type, Word performs the following conversions:

If you type -- (two hyphens) between words with no spaces before or after,
the two hyphens will be converted to an em dash when you type a space or
punctuation following the word after the hyphens.

If you type one or two hyphens betweens words with a space before or a space
before and after, you'll get an en dash instead.

"BorisS" wrote in message
there is a behavior that Word has which extends a hyphen followed by text
into a long hyphen. What is this, and how can I control it? I actually

like
it, but because I don't know what drives it, cannot always replicate it

for
some reason. Is this some sort of symbol it defaults to replacing a

regular
hyphen with? Or something else?

Thanks.
--