Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Default (PRIVATE) AND OTHER SYMBOLS SHOWING ON WORD DOCUMENTS

It should be possible to delete these stray fields just like any other -
send me a sample document containing the fields to the link on my web page
and I'll try and see what it is you are missing here.

Barry wrote:
It didn't change anything. Then I selected all of the text and tried
it again - no change. ?? Any other ideas. Thanks.

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

You're seeing field codes. Press Alt+F9 to turn them off.

--
Jay Freedman

"Barry" wrote:

For the first time ever, when I open some documents, I see on the
screen (PRIVATE) around some words and other symbols (tc \1), that
don't print. It doesn't happen when I open some documents, but a
few that haven't been opened in 3 years will have this annoying
formatting information, or whatever it is. I played around with
some formatting options, but nothing seems to get rid of it.