You might try an { EQ \x \bo } field to put a border under the selected
text. See http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/Overbar.htm for the general
idea.

Another technique I've used with headings is to apply a bottom border and
drag the indents for each individual heading paragraph to just the edges of
the text.

"citro" wrote in message
I'm creating in Word a heading style that has an underline well below the
text. I can't use borders because that underlines to the end of the
paragraph. My hack is to use a style in the next paragraph that has a

white
font and a black undeline. I then duplicate the heading text and apply

this
style which gives an underline of the right length. Does anyone have

anything
less cumbersome?