Graham Mayor

Then press F9 to update.

Doug Robbins wrote:
If you have two mergefields

Fieldone and Fieldtwo

insert a + sign between them so that you have

Fieldone + Fieldtwo

Then select them both and press Ctrl+F9 so that you have

{ Fieldone + Fieldtwo }

Then insert an = sign between the { and so that you have

{ =Fieldone + Fieldtwo }

Then press Alt+F9 a couple of times to toggle off the display of the
field codes.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - Word MVP
"XianProf" wrote in message
I considered that, but then I got to thinking that I SHOULD be able
to do this in Word, and it's always possible I may need this to work
in the future,
so I would really like to see this done.

"Doug Robbins" wrote:

Save yourself all of the trouble and get Excel to add the two values
together.

interested. Questions sent directly to me will only be answered
on a paid
consulting basis.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - Word MVP
"XianProf" wrote in message
I checked, and the brackets are ctrl-f9 brackets. The = sign is
there as
well. If it helps, I am using Office XP Pro and my data source is
an Excel
file.

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

You still haven't entered the fields correctly. The curly
brackets are set
with CTRL+F9 (three pairs) and of course you have to use the field
names
from your data file.

If you have two numbers with a plus sign select the lot, press
CTRL+F9 to
make the lot into a field and add the = after the first bracket.

XianProf wrote:
I ran into this same issue, but when I used this formula, I got a
!Syntax Error, - field result. To make sure I had the fields
typed in properly, I got rid of just the equal sign, and then
the field result gave me my 2 numbers with a plus sign between
them (but not the actual sum).

Marc

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

The syntax is
{ ={ Mergefield Fieldname1 } + { Mergefield Fieldname2 } }
where each pair of brackets is set with CTRL+F9

Fuad wrote:
Dear All,

I am trying to sum up two fields in Word Mail Merge, but it
seems does not work. Does anyone have got any idea that can
help me.

Thanks

Fuad