Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Peter A Peter A is offline

Default How do I get a fraction like 3/16 to format like 1/2 does?

In article ,
says...
I cannot figure out how to make the fraction format for oddball fractions...
I teach math and need to type fractions like 7/8 or 1/16 and all I can get it
to do is 1/2, 1/4, and 3/4! HELP!

It's because the fractions 1/2, 1/4, and 3/4 are single characters in
most fonts, but other fractions such as 3/8 are not - you must compose
them of three characters: a 3, a slash, and an 8. You can get a similar
effect by making the numerator a superscript, followed by a slash, and
the denominator in a smaller font - but it seems like a lot of work!

--
Peter Aitken
Author, MS Word for Medical and Technical Writers