aryev

You're exactly right in the diagnosis of the problem. I do need multiple
instances of Word open.
Unfortunately, whether I try to open Word from the Start Menu or desktop, or
go through the StartRun box as you suggested, Word keeps coming back to the
same old program window, and just gives me a new blank document file. (By the
way, in the StartRun box, I have to use "winword", and not "winword/w",
which creates an error message.)
Surely there is some way to do what I need to do with the updated,
"improved" versions of Word (mine is 2002)? Or do I have to (and am I even
able to) load the old Word '97 onto a computer running a later version of
Windows (I'm using XP)?

"Tony Jollans" wrote:

To do that you need multiple instances of word.

Open your three documents in Word, and arrange your windows as you want
them.
To open a new instance, enter Start Run, and type winword /w
You can then open more documents in that instance and they will not
interfere with the others
And so on until you run out of memory I suppose

--
Enjoy,
Tony