Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Default Compatibility with Works4

In order to open Works files, you need the correct filter for the version of
Works that created them. The filters are linked from the downloads page of
my web site.

Dangers? Probably none, though there is a minor and undisclosed security
risk to using the old filters..
Problems? The formatting may not be the same as the original document and if
you save using the wrong Works converter your correspondent with Works 4
will not be able to open them.

wrote:
I am just about to get some .wps files to clean up, which seem to be
from Works4, but I haven't yet been sent the actual files. I think
the user had this package preloaded on his Dell, which he bought a
few years ago. A brief test shows I can make wps files (using Word,
after updating it, using the CD) and then I can read these in Word.
Does anyone know if there are lurking dangers?