Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ed from AZ Ed from AZ is offline

Default What causes random words in a document to be mashed together?

This was all in the macro, Suzanne. I couldn't get CTRL+Break fast
enough! 8(

Live and learn . . . .

Ed

On Apr 2, 7:08*pm, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
You should have used Undo instead of saving and closing.

"Ed from AZ" wrote in ...
So here's an 85-page report with several tables that need numbers
updated from an Excel spreadsheet every week. *I spend days writing a
macro that will open the Excel file, copy the Excel table over into
the Word doc, pull the right numbers in the right places, and then
delete the added table.

I hit RUN. *The spreadsheet opens, the data is copied over, and the
numbers fly to their places. *The table is selected . . .

WAIT!! *The WHOLE REPORT is selected!!

Too late. *Delete. *Save. *Close.

*sigh*

Re-write 85-page report . . . . 8(

How's your formatting problem working out?

Cheers!
Ed

On Mar 26, 7:00 am, analretentiveauditor

wrote:
Thank you for the detailed advice. I will try it, and I will be sure to
work
on a copy -- I'd love to hear that story! :-)

"Ed from AZ" wrote:
Sorry for the delay in responding. I started to respond and got
sidetracked by a meeting.

What does the Print Preview look like? If you zoom up in the Print
Preview, is the text still distorted?

If everything shows fine on your screen, but it prints badly, then I'm
suspecting you have conflicts between old Word Perfect formatting, how
Word sees this formatting, and your printer driver. Here's what I
would try - but I would try everything on a ~copy~ of the document
first. **Never** experiment with your only copy of a document!
(Don't ask me how I learned this!!)

Also, I'm working with Word 2003. These helps may vary depending on
your version of Word.

First, make sure you have the latest driver for your printer and your
system. When you are sure of that, look at the Print Preview and do a
test print. If it's good, you've won already! If not, continue.

Next, open the offending doc and select all (CTRL+A), then on the menu
select Format Styles and Formatting. In the Task Pane, select
Clear Formatting. WARNING: if you have made any direct formatting
changes, you will lose these too. But you are also hoping to lose the
left-over WP formatting that Word doesn't know how to interpret
correctly for your printer driver.

If this is too painful, you might try copying the table and pasting it
into Excel, then copying it from Excel and pasting it back into Word
in a new document. Again, some formatting is probably going to be
lost.

As a last resort, you can open this in NotePad, select all, copy into
a new Word doc, and use Table Convert Text To Table to get your
table format back.

None of this is without risk, and you'll almost assuredly have to re-
do some formatting. This is all I have, though.

I'm not one of the best experts to reply here by any means. You would
do well to use the advanced Google Groups search to see if this
problem has been previously addressed (rarely does anyone experience a
brand-new problem with Word - it's an equal-opportunity
aggrivator!!). And remember to work on a copy of your doc.

Ed

On Mar 25, 5:53 am, analretentiveauditor
wrote:
I lose my table format, 5 columns and about 50 rows. I didn't try to
print
it. BTW, I didn't mention it in my original post, but on my screen
everything appears fine, but the problem only shows up when I print a
doc.

"Ed from AZ" wrote:
What happens if you open these files with a plain text editor like
NotePad?

Ed

On Mar 24, 2:52 pm, analretentiveauditor
wrote:
I can't replicate the problem here, but the word fee becomes fe,
and the e is
kind of bold from being printed over. The word day gets so
scrunched up that
it becomes ady, with each letter overlapping the next (or prior)..
I have
numerous documents like this, many of which have been brought
forward through
the years after being created in WordPerfect. Some of my old docs
do this,
and some don't. I've tried changing the font, but no luck there.-