Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
mogwai mogwai is offline

Default I get "W" with a line through when I type "\"

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the suggestions, but I've managed to solve the problem; in the
nick of time, also. I was contemplating throwing the computer out of the
window.

Although this relates to a different question, I followed the advice he
http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/D...9/default.mspx.

The Reverse Solidus (a.k.a. back-slash) was being replaced with the Korean
Won (currency) symbol. In the "Supplemental language support" box (Control
Panel "...Regional Options" "Regional and Language Options"
"Languages") I removed Word's support for right-to-left languages and East
Asian languages, re-booted and the problem was no more.

I don't know what the consequences of this will be - if any - and I'm sure
there was an easier solution to the problem, but not one I could find.

Thanks to everyone who offered help.

"Brian Bradley" wrote:

Look deeper in the configuration settings. I saw a setting for "Insert Yen
sign when pressing \." I know the Yen sign is a Y with a little half-bar,
but maybe the font you're using is translating it a little differently. So
maybe that setting has been checked.

I'm awful sorry, I'm new to Word 2007, and I only saw it in passing while
trying to look at the monstrous number of settings available, so I'm not
sure exactly where this setting is, and I am not at my office, but I really
think it is in the compatability settings.

Be sure to let us konw what you find out.