Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Artful_Dodger via OfficeKB.com Artful_Dodger via OfficeKB.com is offline

Default Mysterious changes in new hyperlink - backslash becomes forward slash

No, that doesnt affect behavior.

Two hyperlink on the same page work differently.

Link to doct # 1 as established in the dialog box before closing = Business\
BUL 1240 -- Quiz #3.doc

Link to doct # 1 as established in the dialog box AFTER closing =
Business/BUL%201240%20--%20Quiz#3.doc

Doesnt work as a hyperlink.

Link to doct # 2 as established in the dialog box AFTER closing = Business/My%
20outline%20for%20BUL%201240.doc
(Dont know form of link at time of creation. )

Does work.

If I create a new, second, duplicate link to doct # 2:

Second link to doct # 2 as established in the dialog box before closing =
Business\My outline for BUL 1240.doc

Second link to doct # 2 as established in the dialog box AFTER closing =
Business/My%20outline%20for%20BUL%201240.doc

Does work. (What the heck?)

New hyperlink in new blank document:

Third link to doct # 2 as established in the dialog box before closing = C:\
Docts\Misc\Employment\Business\My outline for BUL 1240.doc

Third link to doct # 2 as established in the dialog box AFTER closing = C:\
Docts\Misc\Employment\Business\My outline for BUL 1240.doc

Works.

Note, there is no transformation of the link with forward slashes and %20.

Thanks for your willingness to help.

A. Dodger.

Cindy M. wrote:
Hi Artful_Dodger,

Alas, it doesn't help.

[quoted text clipped - 9 lines]
There's no hyperlink base for this document, btw, for what it's worth.

To bad it couldn't be that simple...

If you hold down CTRL to start Word in Safe Mode (I'm assuming 2002 or 2003,
here) does the behavior persist, or does it go away for the duration of that
session?

Check in Tools/Options/General/Web Options/File. Is the checkbox to "update
links" when saving activated? If it is, try deactivating and see if that

[quoted text clipped - 5 lines]
Existing hyperlinks still work and opening and closing the "Edit hyperlink"
window doesn't cause this chage.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org