Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Artful_Dodger via OfficeKB.com Artful_Dodger via OfficeKB.com is offline

Default Mysterious changes in new hyperlink - backslash becomes forward slash

Hello, Bob.

I am using Word 2003 SP2.

The link that shows up in the Address line of the Edit Hyperlink window
(before I close the window) is this:

Business\BUL 1240 -- Quiz 3.doc

If I close and reopen that window for that newly-created link I find it
transformed to this:

Business/BUL%201240%20--%20Quiz%203.doc

The link does work in this latter form even tho it points to a file on my
local drive. The "Business" subdirectory is three subdirectories down from
the root directory ("C:\").

It's still a mystery why the slashes are changed and why the spaces in the
file name are converted to "%20". Plenty of other links don't get
transformed that way, even in a new document I just created and in which I
inserted a link to the above file on the local drive. There are no forward
slashes, no "%20s", and no relative address To wit:

C:\Docts\Misc\Employment\Business\BUL 1240 -- Quiz 3.doc

Since the problem is with the "#" character (which I've now eliminated from
all file names) and functionality is back to normal, I'm happy.

I think your analysis of the # sign being interpreted as a reference to a
place inside the document is right on the money. Why didn't I think of that?

:-)

Thanks for your help.

A. Dodger.

Bob Buckland ?:-) wrote:
Hi Dodger,

What version of Word are you using and are the links pointing to a root (drive) folder?

The # sign in a URL (hyperlink) may be interpreted as a target to a specific name in the file) which could be what is changing. The
%20 is Web speak for a space, so that should generally still work.

PS -- I just noticed that hyperlinks I created in a new document still end up
with forward slashes and "%20" for spaces in the file names. Why this sudden
shift in format, I do not know.

However, I note that when a file name contains the symbol "#" the link won't
work. If I replace it with a hyphen the link works.