Mark

I too believe I am having a similar issue. I would like to save a file with
the track changes still within the document, but not visible to others that I
send the file too. I have turned off the "Make hidden markup visible when
opening or saving" in the options/security box. I then turned off all of the
boxes in the "Show" dropdown. I saved the file. I then reopen it and all of
the boxes in the "Show drop down are back on and the comments and changes are
visible again. Is this normal or should this process actually make the
changes invisible within the document? I understand that I can save a file
after I accept all changes, but I prefer that I did not have to duplicate the
document. If this process is supposed to work, is there a problem with the
program? Thank you for any response to this issue.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Since I could never understand what the problem was and since Brian never
sent me a sample document, there was no further development. But I don't see
how you can tell that you're having "the same problem," since I never could
understand what the problem was!

"Juanita" wrote in message
Did this problem ever get solved? I'm having the same problem.
Juanita Londenberg

"Brian" wrote:

If you can e-mail me I can get you a copy of the document. I dont want

put my e-mail address out in the open like this.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Which suggestion? Have you disabled the "Make hidden markup visible"

check
box? What exactly do you mean by "it will show me what the document

used to
be"? In other words, are you actually seeing markup, or are you seeing

previous version? I'm wondering if the document was saved using

versions or
if perhaps the markup was created manually (not using Track Changes)

or if
there could be some other explanation. If we can't get to the bottom

of
this, perhaps I can look at a sample document and see what is going

on.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Brian" wrote in message
news I am sorry I didnt mean to come off like an a$$ hole.

I can assure you that I have done the suggestion and the problem has

not
been fixed. Everytime I open a document it will show me what the

document
used to be.

As far as just making new ones. I know that sounds like the logical

choice
and I do do that now but these letter that I deal with are all from

Years
before my time so I had no control over them being created or

re-used.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

I think you're still missing the point. If the document had been
modified in
the past without Track Changes turned on, these changes would not

be
displayed. But you can still remove the markup by selecting Accept

All
Changes in Document on the menu you get when you click beside

Accept
Change
on the Reviewing toolbar. The only way to be sure of not seeing

markup
is to
remove it by accepting the changes.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Brian" wrote in message
That might work "if I WANT word to track my changes" You are

sugusting
fix
that is not addressing the problem.

I want to be able to open a document that had been modified in

the
past
and
NOT, I repeat NOT see the changes.

It is something to do with Microsoft Word not the document

because if
open
the document turn off markup close the document (With a save)

and try
re-open the document IT SILL SHOWS THE MARKUP.(I am not trying

to yell
just
show emphasis)

Has anyone (who is offering sujestions) tried opening an old

document,
that
has been re worded a few times, to see what I am talking about?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

You can open the document without showing markup in two ways:

1. Clear the check box for "Make hidden markup visible when

opening
or
saving" on the Security tab of Tools | Options (the dangerous

way).

2. Remove the markup by accepting all changes (the better

way).

Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to

the
newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Brian" wrote in message
So what you are saying is there is no way to open a document

and
NOT
SHOW
MARKUP?

This question has been posted on here about 5 times and

every time
the
question is not answered. I do not really care if past

versions
had
it on
or
not I just want to open a document and see the document not

all
past
versions. The reason this is so aggravating is in my job we

reuse
old
word
doc's for YEARS we have some (while showing markup) going

back to
96.
do
not like having the inconvenience of having to hit view and
unclick
Markup.

Can you set up a MACRO to do it since no one else can figure

how
turn a
default setting off?

"Margaret Aldis" wrote:

You are confusing several different issues here.

'Protecting for tracked changes' is a setting that locks

the
document so
that changes are tracked and the user can't turn it off

from the
toolbar. It
isn't the same as just having tracked changes set 'on' (so

any
changes
are
marked), nor is it the same as having changes (insertions

and
deletions)
showing up in the document.

Word 2003 will by default open documents in the 'Final

showing
mark-up'
view
if there are tracked changes in the document (whether or

not
tracking is
currently on, whether or not document is protected for
tracking). If
documents created in earlier versions of Word open like

this,
then
it is
because you were (perhaps inadvertently) tracking changes

at
some
time
in
the past, and you have never accepted/rejected those

changes.
Word
2003
has
a new view default here, but it doesn't turn tracking (or
protection) on
and
it certainly can't generate revisions that weren't already

in
the
document!
I assume the idea of the new view default was to alert

people to
the
revisions stored in their document to avoid embarrassment,
though
from
the
posts here it often seems to ensure that Word 2003

recipients
see
changes
Word 2002 senders had forgotten about without even trying

snoop
g.

The only way of removing changes in documents is to accept

or
reject
the
changes. But if all you want to do is clean out the

revision
marking,
without any backtracking of the changes you've made, you

just
turn
off
tracking (if it's still on) and 'Accept all changes'

(available
on
the
dropdown menu beside the Accept Change button) - you don't

have
accept
each change individually. You can *view* the document

without
the
changes by
choosing Final without Markup, but that will leave the

changes
in
the
file,
and they will be visible on opening.

--
Margaret Aldis - Microsoft Word MVP

"CarolChris" wrote

in
message
If it is not enabled by default, why then does a form

created
in
an
earlier
version of Word and protected as a form (not for tracked
changes)