Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default Retain numbering when extracted from list

You can convert the numbers to text using these instructions provided by
Stefan Blom:

To convert autonumbering (paragraph/outline numbering and LISTNUM
fields) to plain text, do the following: Make sure the active
document is the one you want to convert. Then press ALT+F11 to
display the Visual Basic Editor. On the View menu, click
Immediate Window. In the Immediate Window, type

ActiveDocument.ConvertNumbersToText

and press ENTER.

Note that if paragraph/outline numbering was applied with styles,
it isn't completely gone (CTRL+Q will bring it back!) unless you
also clear it from the style definitions.

Note that Stefan's instructions are for the entire document. I can't tell
you the appropriate macro for a selection (perhaps
Selection.ConvertNumbersToText), but perhaps someone else will chime in with
that. Alternatively, you could make a copy of the document, run the macro,
and then copy/paste the relevant bit into your good doc.

"Monte Beery" Monte wrote in message
I often need to extract a few entries from a page of numbered paragraphs,

but
want to retain the original numbering for reference to the original

document.

1. first paragraph
2. second paragraph
2.1 clause in second paragraph
3 third paragraph

Extract the second paragraph and its clause, but retain the numbering

thus...

2 second paragraph
2.1 clause in second paragraph

Word will routinely renumber the lines...

1 second paragraph
1.1 clause in second paragraph

How do I achieve my goal of retaining the numbering when I extract a part

of
a numbered list?

Thanks for your assistance,
Monte