Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Default mail merging formatiing

Add a formatting switch to the mergefield as follows:

{ MERGEFIELD ONLINEDATE \@ "MMMM dd, yyyy" }

Use Alt+F9 to toggle the display of fieldcodes on and off.

For more information on this subject, see "Formatting Word fields with
switches" on fellow MVP Graham Mayor's website at:

Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"LennyBP" wrote in message
I am merging a date field from a .DBF database file. The field in the file
is
06/27/84. On my document I have the data file field as ONLINEDATE which is
the field name in the file.

What I would like to do is have it appear in my document as "June 27,
1984"
without the quotes.

If you can answer this, please be as detailed as possible.

TIA for your help. If possible, please also send the answer to

"macropod" wrote:

You can do that by adding a numeric picture switch to the mergefield. To
achieve a two-decimal currency result:
.. select the Word MERGEFIELD and press Shift-F9. You should see
something
like-
{MERGEFIELD MyData}
.. edit the Word MERGEFIELD to look like-
{MERGEFIELD MyData \# $,0.00} or {MERGEFIELD MyData \# £,0.00}, etc,
depending on the required currency format;
.. press F9;
.. run your mailmerge.

See Word's help file for more information on field formatting

Cheers

"registrarirene" wrote in
message
When mail merging from an excel file to a word document, how do I keep
the
number or currency format? It keeps merging as a number of varying
decimal
points although it's formatting correctly in excel..