Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Henk57[_135_] Henk57[_135_] is offline

Default How do you insert picture place holders in Word?

In addition to Doug's remark, insert yr pictures straight away. In
Tools/Options/ [View tab] check "Picture Placeholders". This has the
effect that the pictures are not loaded in memory so your document is
quick to navigate. In case you need a quick peek, at least u hv
everything in place which whould help you to maintain overview.
HTH, Henk
Doug Robbins - Word MVP;2496845 Wrote:
Insert a one row, one column table with the desired cell dimensions at
the
location where you want the pictures to appear.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Michael" wrote in message
...-
Hi All,

I want to insert an empty picture place holder in a word document, for

later
inserting when finalising.

Basically I create reports that are often 100 pages in length,, I then

have
to insert graphics, flow charts, images etc, each of these are often
-
500kb-
so including them in the reports as I go only slows down the
computer,
especially as the report is kept on a network file system. Even
working
on a
local version (stored on my hard disk is quite slow).

As a result I want to put in picture place holders much in the same
way as
can be used in Powerpoint, so I can space out the documents correctly
and
then insert the images etc at the very end.

Using a text box, autoshape etc doesn't seem to work as it resizes
automatically to the image size. Whereas I want to fix the picture
"frame"
size so when I bring in the graphic/image/flowchart etc it fits the
frame
have created for it thereby eliminating the need to mess around with
formatting.

I am sure you used to be able to do this in Word for Windows (3.11)
but it
seems to have disappeared in later versions. I am using Word for
Office
XP.

-

--