Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Default Altering left margin but keeping tab positions unchanged?

Tabs are measured from the margin so if you move the margin, you will have
to change the tab positions in order for them to remain in the same position
on the page. For an odd paragraph you could instead set a negative indent
i.e. -1cm

Bert Coules wrote:
Is there a way of changing the left hand margin of a document but
keeping any tabs and indents in their old positions on the page,
rather than having them change too? Apart, I mean, from the obvious
method of resetting the tabs manually.

In other words, if I have a document with these settings:

left margin: 3.3 cms
tabs: 2 cms, 4 cms

and I want to change the left margin to 2.3 cms, is there an
alternative to deleting the old tabs and setting new ones at 3 cms
and 4 cms?
(This is a much simplified version of the true situation.)

Many thanks,

Bert