Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Roderick O'Regan Roderick O'Regan is offline

Default Styles in foreign language

On Thu, 22 May 2008 15:59:15 +0200, "Stefan Blom"
wrote:

No, you cannot choose other styles than the default ones for the TOC
entries. What is the problem you are having with the TOC?

Thank you Stefan for your - not unexpected - reply. I had a sinking
feeling that this might be the case.

First of all the TOC 1 built-in style changes to "Analitico 1" style
and so on through the styles.

Next, on the document itself, is a Table of contents page with the TOC
constructed from the TOC fields and respective title styles and which
are driven by TOC 1, 2, 3 etc built-in styles.

So, when the template is used over in Rio the TOC field doesn't update
itself and show the levels required because what was used in the first
place TOC 1,2, 3, etc in the UK has now changed to "analitico" 1, 2,
3 etc in Brazil. Word seems to be saying "You created it using TOC 1
style. I'm going to change TOC to "Analitico" but I'm not going to let
this filter down to the TOC field written on the document" Or
something like that!

It was interesting to see (we were having a visual dialogue with them
through MS Live Meeting) when I asked them first to create a quite
separate TOC the new one picked up the correct style settings which I
had originally set up in the UK with TOC 1 and so on.

Hope this explanation helps.