A centered page number in the footer (which Daiya also suggested). But given
your further description, I think Jay's solution will be better for you.

"BarbaraF" wrote in message
Thanks for your reply. I had already thought of using Odd Page breaks, but
the whole document is really one chapter, with quite a lot of sections

within
it, and some of the sections may be short (possibly only one page). I

don't
want to end up with a lot of blank pages. I will have to do about 30 or

40
of these documents eventually, so want to get the template as good as
possible before starting.

Could you explain what you mean by a "centered drop folio"

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

It's not uncommon to use a centered drop folio on the first page of a
chapter; or you could use Odd Page section breaks so that the first page
would always be odd.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"BarbaraF" wrote in message
I am trying to set up a template for a document with several sections,

each
section starting on "next page". I want the header of the first page

of
each
section to show e.g "introduction", "text", etc, and all the

subsequent
pages
in the section to show e.g. "introduction (continued)". I can do this

by
clicking "different first page" under page setup. I also want the

footer
to include the page number on the left for even pages and on the right

for
odd pages (outside edge when printed double sided). I can do this by
clicking "different odd and even". However this is no good if I tick

both -
the problem arises because the first page of a new section may be

either
odd
or even, so I cannot sensibly define the first page footer. If I

define
it
to show the page number on the right, say, then it comes on the right
regardless of whether that section happens to fall odd or even.

Can anyone help please!