Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Default Forms - Controls to Calculate Totals WITHOUT Using Legacy Cont

If you are using legacy form fields then the default field bookmarks names
would be Text1 and Text2 not texta and textb, so the Text3 type would be set
as a calculated field with the calculation =Text1- Text2 and the calculate
on exit check box of Text2 should be checked.

michelle wrote:
Graham - do you know how to do the calculation when you protect your
document? I put in a legacy form field and selected calculation in
the properties section and then wrote =texta-textb what am i doing
wrong?

thanks

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

As you have discovered the new Word 2007 controls are somewhat
limited. If you want a more complex form you are going to have to
use a protected form - or you could create as userform to gather
your data, perform your calculations and populate the form For the
basics, see Word MVP FAQ - Userforms
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Userforms.htm

for a more in depth explanation, see
http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Create_and...a_UserForm.htm

dewaaz wrote:
Hi

I'd like to use forms in Word 2007 to create some fields where
numbers are typed in, and then another field gets updated at the
bottom of the page with the sum of all the previous numbers.

This can be done in Word 2003, and even in Word 2007 through legacy
controls - fine - but to use legacy controls in 2007, the document
must be protected.

In Word 2007, dropdown lists don't require the document to be
protected - great! But Word 2007 doesn't seem to allow fields where
numbers are inputted and a total given elsewhere - it seems like
legacy controls must be used. But then because they are legacy
controls, the document needs to be protected.

Is there a way to get numbers in some fields and totals outputted
somewhere using native Word 2007 functionality, and not legacy
controls? I ask this because then I would not need to protect my
document. I can do this with dropdown lists currently, but there
doesn't seem to be a way to have the sums and totals using numbers,
unless legacy controls are used.

I amaware of being able to protect portions of a document using
section breaks, but I want to allow editing of a table in which
contains controls - in short, I just want to be able to create a
form with no protection - which can be done with dropdown lists -
but I want to have controls for manipulating numbers WITHOUT having
to resort to legacy controls (which require protection).

Thanks to whoever can help