Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default Where is the word count tool?

Hi Tim,

You're right that in the UI you can't turn off and on toolbars, but you can 'cheat' a bit with the Quick Access Toolbar (and of
course you can customize the ribbon using XML).

The Quick Access toolbar holds its 'always visible' information in a standalone file. For Word that's Word.xml, but you can also
have content stored in templates and/or documents that come and go as you either open them or attach them.

So, for graphics work you can create a template (or a document) named, say, pictures.dotm and then put the crop tool on the QAT for
that template. When you need the picture tools you can use Alt, T, I and attach the template or document, When you no longer need
those tools, uncheck the attachment in the same dialog (I imagine you could also create macros that did this for you and have them
either on the permanent QAT or with keyboard shortcuts for them stored in your Normal.dotm template). This tends to work better if
you have only a few entries in the 'always on' part of the QAT or a really wide monitor screen

You may want to take a look at the http://toolbartoggle.com add-in. It supports a floating toolbar (actually task pane) for some
features.

I'm not sure what warning you're getting regarding old keystrokes (I'll probably remember once I've had coffee on this Monday
morning g).

The 'Custom properties' would be one tab in the older Word 2003 properties dialog? That's a dialog I mentioned in the previous
message that could be assigned a custom keyboard shortcut to be able to pop it up, although not to a specific tab in the dialog .

As you can access the object model from C# it would be possible to customize the right click context menus that way, but that would
be something one of the macro maven/programming folks who post here to address for you

==========
"digitig" wrote in message ...
On the keyboard shortcuts you mentioned, you may find that many of the old version ones still work g as do the new ones.

I know, but I get a warning that I'm using an obsolescent key sequence,
which I take to mean I'm going to have to stop sooner or later. And it is
only "some". I don't mind *too* much learning new keystrokes -- I had to do
that between Word 2000 and Word 2003, when, for instance, insert reference
changed from altIR ro altINR (now it's altSRF, of course -- at least
it's not longer).

Old ones that don't always work were often on the old File menu (now Office button menu)

And altINR, which was on the Insert menu and no longer works...

where properties moved to
Office Button=Prepare=Properties so (Alt, F, E, P) works to get you to the 'basic' properties, but the old (Alt, F, I) will
now take you to the 'Office Center' (Word 2007 Options) dialog

But you'll notice that I mentioned *custom* properties, which my employer
uses extensively in all document templates.

You can right click on the Crop tool icon to add-it to the Quick access toolbar,

Which is fine when I'm doing that task, but it's still there when I'm not.
My point was that I used to have different toolbars with the buttons I needed
for different tasks, and I would keep those toolbars on the screen whilst I
was performing the task. When I moved on to a new task, I would close that
toolbar and open the toolbar associated with the new task (often this would
just be a couple of the standard toolbars, rather than custom ones). I don't
seem to be able to do that any more, so Office is no longer task-oriented.

If you're handy with VBA (which
I'm not g, it can probably also be added to the right click menu for pictures as well.

I'm rusty...how is C# integration?

There are a number of different spreadsheets, by example tools and add-ins available that you may find helpful.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/tr...295841033.aspx
http://officelabs.com/projects/searc...s/default.aspx

I'll have a look, thanks.

Some folks prefer to work with a minimzed ribbon (ctrl+F1 or double click on a ribbon tab)

I don't think that will help -- I don't mind the presence of the ribbon, I
just mind the abscence of task-oriented tools (except when I'm writing a
simple letter, in which case the ribbon /is/ task oriented).

Regards,

Tim
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)