Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

Default Word formatting problem

For the conventional explanation of the name "pilcrow," as well as an
illustration of the derivation of the shape, see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pilcrow

"anon k" wrote in message
m...
Tom Brown wrote:

Thanks! This is really funny because the first thing I usually do when

install Word on any computer, is go up and get rid of that funny-looking
Show/Hide Formatting symbol.

It's a paragraph mark. They've been in use for centuries, well before
Word, or even printing presses, came along. If anyone can explain how
it came to get its shape, I'd be interested.

Why do I do this? Because I didn't know what
it was so I didn't think I needed it. But, in getting rid of it, I must
have pushed it first!

I guess we are always learning something, huh?

Thanks again,

Tom