Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
RogerKni RogerKni is offline

Default Add a warning to Insert Bookmark that spaces are not allowed.

Oops--you're right. But I did spend half an hour looking through the book and
repeatedly trying to get Insert Bookmark to accept a bookmark entry before I
looked at Help. Im sure there are many users whove given up on this feature
as a result of these omissions, and never finally stumbled onto the answer,
reasoning that such a basic piece of information would never have been
omitted from both the manual and the dialog box. It should be mentioned in
both places. That's the bottom line.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

From the Help topic "Add a bookmark":

Bookmark names must begin with a letter and can contain numbers. You can't
include spaces in a bookmark name. However, you can use the underscore
character to separate words€” for example, "First_heading."

"RogerKni" wrote in message
It IS mysterious, because the prohibition of spaces (and other forbidden
characters) is not mentioned in "Word 2002 Inside Out" (p. 302, text box,
item 2), nor in the PC-based help system, but only in the online Help

system.
It took me half an hour to even guess what the problem was. I had no idea
that certain characters were forbidden; it is a poor design principle not

mention such "gotchas" if they exist. (Ideally, I'd suggest the gotchas be
eliminated, but I suppose there must be a reason for them in this case.)
Adding three words of warning to the text box would cost nothing--and

adding
a beep upon invalid character entry would be an inexpensive, user-friendly
nicety.

"Pat Garard" wrote:

NO! it's not mysterious.
It is enabled when a valid name is entered.
--
Regards,
Pat Garard

"RogerKni" wrote in message
And there should be a diagnostic beep or message provided when the

user
enters illegal characters. Otherwise, it's mysterious why the Add

button
won't appear.

suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click

the "I
Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button,

follow this
link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and

then
click "I Agree" in the message pane.