Frank Drost

Default weird symbol in header

I have the following text in the header of my chapter 8 (this text is not on
the first page of the chapter):

Chapter 8: LGM simulation:New Zealand}

"Chapter" is plain text, "8" and "LGM simulation:New Zealand" are cross
references to heading number and heading text respectively. I did not put in
the } symbol. This symbol does not look like it is typed here, but has a
dotted line all around it, in a rectangular shape. This shape looks exactly
like the dotted rectangular shape you get when you use Microsoft equation 3
for an equation in your document (which I do use but only in chapter 3, some
150 pages back).
I don't want that symbol there, but I just can't get rid of it. I can't
highlight it, can't "grab" it, but it does move further backwards if I insert
more text in front of it. I can only "highlight" it if I highlight everything
(after the symbol there is a hard return followed by a picture of a
horizontal bar so highlight everything, text and bar, does highlight the } as
well). But when I do so, I can't do anything. You would think I can delete
the highlighted text (plus symbol), but that does not work.
Where does this } symbol (with dotted lines) come from, and more important,
how do I get rid of it. It does show up when I print the document.

Anyone?

Thanks