Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
RGBrasel RGBrasel is offline

Default Separate documents v large single document

I've heard that the maximum size (including graphics) was or is 32 MB. If
you're writing something larger and very graphics-intensive, I'd consider
Adobe FrameMaker--but it's about $500.00. Unfortunately, I don't have it.

I write a lot of online help documentation for proprietary software systems,
and I create them in Word. To prevent the document from corrupting, I create
a hub file which connects to other smaller files in a hierarchical system.
(I use Doc-to-Help, which uses Word as its editor.) That way, I can have
what would otherwise be a 100MB Word document, but in a stable format. You
may be able to emulate that in Word using hyperlinks and having each chapter
in its own file.

RGBrasel