Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
order

Default How do I capitalize the first letter of sentences?

Thank you both. I do realize those issues. My problem is adding a sentence
to an existing paragraph. The issue is occuring with starting a new sentence
with Dragon Dictate. If I put the cursor after the period following an
existing sentence, Dragon Dictate and Word used to automatically recognize
that it is a new sentence. They automatically added two spaces, and
capitalized the first letter of the new sentence. For some reason, that is
no longer working, and I can't figure out what changed!

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

To add to what Graham has said, make sure, of course, that you actually have
all the AutoCorrect options enabled. Also, be aware that Word will not
capitalize after a number followed by a period. As for adding a space,
that's probably part of the problem, since a space is needed to tell Word
you're starting a new word/sentence after the period, but it may also be
somewhat influenced by your "smart" settings in Tools | Options | Edit
(though these mostly concern pasting).

"Graham Mayor" wrote in message
Where in the paragraph are you beginning this new sentence? The
capitalisation occurs at the start of a paragraph (unless it's a numbered
paragraph) and in the middle of a paragraph if you start typing after the
space following a full stop (period). At the end of a paragraph you would
need to add a space after the final full stop (period) for capitalisation

occur. If you paste a sentence into a paragraph anywhere it doesn't work.
When all else fails use the shift key. That's what it's for

.

order wrote:
I have the autocorrect check box 'checked' to autocap the first
letter of every sentence. Unfortunately, it's not working. How do I
fix this problem? For example, after adding a new sentence to an
existing paragraph, the new sentence won't automatically capitalize,
nor will there be any spaces between the end of the first and the
beginning of the second sentence.
This used to work, but it is not any longer. I can't figure out how
to correct it back to do it again.
Thank you in advance.