Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Default using Word field "if" for a list item?

Will have to look again for numbered lists, sorry. (FWIW I never found an
approach that worked before, but that doesn't mean there is no workable
approach)

Peter Jamieson

wrote in message
oups.com...
On Mar 29, 11:33 am, "Peter Jamieson"
wrote:
Include paragraph marks in the result texts, e.g. if you have

{ IF X = Y "abc" "def" }

and you want

ab

if X = Y, put the insertion point after "ab" in the field and press Enter
so
you have

{ IF X = Y "ab
c "def" }

(i.e. it's probably more obvious than you realised :-) ) However, whether
that will help solve your problem I cannot tell.

Yeah, sadly, that doesn't seem to work for me. The new paragraphs are
evident when in "View Field Code" mode, but they show up in white, and
don't appear to be included within the quotes holding the conditional
text.

Here's what I'm trying to do with lists:

- list item number 1. this applies to all documents blah blah blah...
- list item number 2. this applies to all documents blah blah blah...
{ IF {MERGEFIELD EntityType } = "Consultant" "- list item number 3.
this applies to documents pertaining to consultants blah blah blah..."
"" }
- list item number 4. this applies to all documents blah blah blah...

and so on and so forth. According to the online help, text formatting
isn't passed along with the text inside the "IF" statement. Evidently,
this includes list element formatting. The problem is, if I leave the
list item definition in the main document, it appears (as a blank)
even when the "IF" is false.

As I mentioned before, I'm totally open to other ways of approaching
this problem. Thanks again...