Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement,microsoft.public.word.newusers

Default Automatic header for new documents in Word 2007

Thanks for confirming, Jay.

Jay Freedman wrote:
No change -- Word 2007 behaves the same way, using Normal.dotm for the
label document and sticking in the header, even though it's the main
header rather than the first-page header and there is only one page.

On Sat, 17 Nov 2007 20:46:44 -0500, Daiya Mitchell
wrote:

Although, now doesn't Word 2007 refuse to use a customized Normal if you
right-click somewhere and create new document? It pulls the settings

from somewhere else? I wonder if Word 2007 is smart enough to use that

"somewhere else" for labels and envelopes too.

Daiya Mitchell wrote:

Yep, it definitely did. I tested it because I wasn't sure I wasn't
just repeating conventional wisdom either--and yeah, the header text
showed up under my return address, and the "single sheet of labels"
pushed the last row onto the second page.

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:

Well, the problem is that if you ever touch the header in Normal.dot
(or any
template), you are left with an empty paragraph in the header, which one
would expect to interfere with labels, but when you use Word's built-in
label definitions, it uses its built-in magic to set the header/footer
margin to 0" and somehow suppress any error messages about being
outside the
printable area, so I've always been curious about whether putting a
header
in Normal.dot would *really* cause problems with labels (much less
envelopes). It's nice to have confirmation of what I was beginning to
fear
was just superstition or an old wives' tale.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman