Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Default Symbols for chess pieces

On Sun, 09 Dec 2007 22:51:26 -0500, Jud McCranie
wrote:

On Sun, 09 Dec 2007 22:28:50 -0500, Jay Freedman
wrote:

If you thought to Google for "chess font" you'd find lots of sites,
such as http://www.enpassant.dk/chess/fonteng.htm.

If Word tells you the name of the font that was originally used in the
document, Google for that specific font.

I did search on Google, but I didn't include "font". I picked out a
font, downloaded it and installed it, and it works for me. I created
an HTML file from my Doc file, and it works on my computer. But I'm
planning to put the HTML file on my website - will it show up properly
for other people (who have not installed that font)?

No, it will not show up properly unless they have installed the same
font. Instead, they'll see the letters in Times New Roman or whatever
their default font is.

You have two choices: Make the font file available for download on
your page (assuming it's a freeware font), with instructions on how to
install it; or make your web page with graphics (.jpg, .gif, or .png)
of the characters or of the entire diagram. For the latter, you can
use screen shots of diagrams that you set up in Word using the fonts;
I recommend SnagIt (www.techsmith.com) as the most flexible choice for
that.

--
Regards,