Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Default Symbols for chess pieces

Jud McCranie wrote:
On Sun, 09 Dec 2007 23:50:25 -0500, Jay Freedman
wrote:

You have two choices: Make the font file available for download on
your page (assuming it's a freeware font), with instructions on how
to install it; or make your web page with graphics (.jpg, .gif, or
.png) of the characters or of the entire diagram. For the latter,
you can use screen shots of diagrams that you set up in Word using
the fonts; I recommend SnagIt (www.techsmith.com) as the most
flexible choice for that.

Having the reader install the font is more than they should have to
do. I want to use the piece figurines in lines of text, which is easy
when inserting them as a symbol/character, but I wonder if inserting a
graphic each time is very practical. I'll look at Snagit.

Try this, then: Make a screen shot of each piece's character, insert the
screen shot into some document, select it, and make it into a formatted
AutoCorrect entry (for example, to replace bq/ with a picture of the black
queen).

Using these automatically replaced abbreviations, you can type your text
almost normally and not have to worry about individually inserting pictures.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman