LurfysMa

Default Special characters on laptop without numeric keypad

On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 09:19:33 +0200, "Doug Robbins - Word MVP"
wrote:

On some laptops, you hold down the function (Fn) and the Alt key and use the
M, J, K, L, U, I, O, 7, 8, 9 keys that have the numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7,
8, 9, 0 on them. With others, to activate those keys, it is necessary to
use the Fn key and a Num Lk to turn on the numeric function of those keys
and then use them in conjunction with the Alt Key.

You can also insert them via the InsertSymbol dialog and for most of them,
there is keyboard shortcut displayed there when you select each symbol.

Thanks for the tip. It turns out that my laptop (HP Omnibook 6000) has
a "Keypad Lock" feature that is activated by Fn+F8. Once activated,
the Alt+0nnn works using the imbedded numeric keypad as you suggested.

Thanks

--
Running Word 2000 SP-3 on Windows 2000