Default Special characters on laptop without numeric keypad

Hex is 00B0.

"LurfysMa" wrote in message
On Sun, 23 Oct 2005 13:40:56 -0400, Stan Brown
wrote:

Fri, 21 Oct 2005 20:11:27 -0700 from LurfysMa
:
Is there a way to enter the Alt+0xxx codes on a laptop without a
numeric keypad?

(1) In Microsoft Word, use the hex (not decimal) codes and then press
Alt-X afterward.

I'm not sure what you mean. The degree character is Ascii 176 or Hex
"B0". I tried typing "B" then "0" then Alt-X. Didn't work. Is that
what you meant?

(2) Does your laptop (like mine) have an Fn key? You may be able to
enter the characters without shifting into numeric mode by pressing
Alt+Fn simultaneously; it works for me (except in Word). For
instance, to get the degree mark I press and hold Alt+Fn, press M
(0), J (1), 7, O (6), and release Alt+Fn: °. I don't use the top row,
but the characters that would be the numeric keypad if I were in
numeric mode.

I was able to get this to work.

Otherwise, a third-party application is needed. Allchars seems to be
a popular recommendation, though I haven't installed it myself.

--
Running Word 2000 SP-3 on Windows 2000