Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Default Documents opening in multiple instances, I want one instance

This is the new multiple document interface introuduced with Word 2002,
which makes more sense if you are using Windows XP. There is only one
instance of Word running. To have all the windows in one apparent instance,
see Stefan's reply.

wrote:
Update - and this is really bizarre.

Although there are four instances of Word open in the Task Bar, when I
look under the "Window" menu in each instance, all 4 documents are
listed under each instance. Weird! I only want one instance -
help!!!

wrote:
I recently upgraded from Word 97 to Word 2003. I have a feeling this
is an easy fix, so here goes.

Every time I open a new Word document (i.e. double clicking on an
email attachment, double clicking on a file in a folder), Word opens
a new instance of the application. What I was used to with Word 97
was new documents opening in a new window, in the same instance of
Word. I want this functionality back.

Also, as an aside, when is Word going to get with the program and
have tabs for documents rather than making us deal with the stupid
'Window - Arrange All'?