Interim Department Tech - Uhhhgg!

Default Mysterious problem saving to the 3.5 inch drive

Okay, this is weird one. Microsoft Word (Office 2000 on Windows 2000) will
no longer allow me to "save as" to the 3.5 inch drive. The drive has been
checked by a tech. It does work. In fact, I made a shortcut on the desktop
for the 3.5 inch drive. I'm able to drag word documents into the shortcut
and into the disc.

So, when I "save as" to the 3.5 inch drive the computer locks up and will
only restart with a hard reboot.

I reinstalled Office 2000 and still have the problem.

How do I fix this without reinstalling my operating system?

Can anyone help?