Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Owl1 Owl1 is offline

Default Word Clipboard Toolbar Always Docks Itself

Hi Tony - Thank you for the idea to start Word in Safe Mode. I tried this: it
also didn't help. The Clipboard toolbar behaves exactly the same way: it is
always docked when Word opens, and always docked in every Word document you
subsequently open.

Yes, the Clipboard toolbar used to work just fine! And it was a great help
in the work I do. I'd really like to get it back. As I've said before,
probably to most people this seems unimportant, but when you need to go from
one opened Word document to another and make regular use of multiple
Clipboard items, to have it float is really helpful.

This has become so much of a frustration (and source of guilt for taking up
you experts' time trying to help me) that I've thought of uninstalling Word
2000 and then reinstalling it, using the Reinstall option in Control Panel
for Office 2000.

As an alternative, I've thought of trying to install only Word 2003 from the
Standard Edition of Office 2003 that someone gave me four years ago. I never
installed it because I was afraid it would automatically uninstall programs
in Office 2000 Premium Edition that I rely on (PhotoDraw and Publisher).

I raised this question on the MS Office Community Forum, and have gotten
conflicting answers, so I'm still trying to patch Word 2000 somehow.

Again, I want to thank you guys for your generous willingness to offer some
guidance!

"Tony Jollans" wrote:

To some extent what happens after 2000 is irrelevant, as it became a Task
Pane. But there is no limitation - it used to work for Owl1, and still works
for me.

--
Enjoy,
Tony

www.WordArticles.com

"Graham Mayor" wrote in message
Hmmm. As you have tried the more obvious things, I wonder if this was a
limitation of Word 2000, fixed in later versions? Certainly with Word 2003
it stays where you put it.

Owl1 wrote:
Thank you for your suggestion, Graham, but it didn't work. I did what
you recommended: I opened Normal.dot, moved the Clipboard toolbar
from its obsessive docked position so it would float normally, added
a text space to the document and then deleted it, save the result,
closed Normal.dot, closed Word, re-opened Word, hit Ctrl-C twice,
and, lo!, the Clipboard toolbar was RIGHT BACK IN ITS DOCKED POSITION.

To say this is frustrating is an understatement! I very much
appreciate your thinking about this and offering any ideas. I'm more
than willing to try any suggestions. Many thanks, again.