Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Default Styles won't stick

There could be direct formatting applied to the footnotes, overriding the
font formatting of the style. In Normal view, click View | Footnotes. Select
the footnote area and press Ctrl+SpaceBar to reset font formatting. The
correct font size should now be applied to text.

Then use Find and Replace to reapply the Footnote Reference character style
to the footnote number: Press Ctrl+H to display the Find and Replace dialog
box.

Find what: ^f

Place the insertion point inside the "Replace with" box and click Format,
Style. Locate Footnote Reference, and click OK.

Finally, click Replace All.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

wrote in message
news
Word XP.

I modify by opening up the style dialog, clicking on "save to template"
and then going in and modifying the Font attributes.
It's working for my other styles -- just not for footnotes. Although -- I
DID have success at changing the shading color.
But I still can't change to 10-point font. It stays at 12-points.

Lady Dungeness
Crabby, but Great Legs!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On Wed, 23 Apr 2008 11:06:44 +0200, "Stefan Blom"
wrote:

Which version of Word is this? How are you modifying the style?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

wrote in message
. ..
I'm working on a text, based on a template that I started in Normal, and
then saved as a separate template. I cannot
get all of the styles to stick. I've been trying to set the
FootnoteText
style to font size 10, with a light grey shading.
It keeps defaulting to my old Normal size 12 with dark gray shading.
Hellllllllp!

Lady Dungeness
Crabby, but Great Legs!