Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dan Freeman Dan Freeman is offline

Default Comma-delimited text format

Just rename the original file using Windows Explorer. Once you've renamed
it, double click on it (again, in Windows explorer). If it was already
comma-delimited, there's not need to re-save it. Just rename it. Might be a
good idea at this point and go back to the original Email, and this time
when you save the attachment give it the .csv extension instead of .txt.

Parsing just means that Excel properly puts the values between each comma in
a column of its own.

Dan

Nancy wrote:
Klaus & Dan,
I so appreciate your input. I cannot seem to get this to work. Dan,
you mentioned that when you double-click a CSV file, excel jumps up
and properly parses it. I'm not sure if I'm doing this right....I
saved the e-mail as a .txt file then opened it in Excel, and re-saved
it as a CSV file with the same results. I don't know what "parses"
means. Perhaps I need a "computing for dummies" - I'm blonde, but
Nancy

"Dan Freeman" wrote:

I actually try to avoid Excel g, but I've been using it lately to
check CSV output from an application.

Dan

Klaus Linke wrote:
My bad... you're right!
I don't know why Nancy didn't see the wizard for her *.txt file
though... But then I don't know much of anything about Excel.

Klaus

"Dan Freeman" wrote:
Change the file's extension from .txt to .csv

Maybe that'll do the trick, though the text conversion wizard
kicks in any time I try to open a text file, no matter what the
extension.

If it doesn't for Nancy, maybe someone in the Excel groups knows
what option(s) to change...

I've never actually seen that wizard. g When I double-click a CSV