Bert Coules

Charles,

Many thanks for the very detailed reply; much appreciated.

I have been toying with the idea of using WordPerfect and then converting
the finished documents to Word (they have to be Word because they're being
sent to an organisation which uses nothing else) but a few experiments
brought to light exactly the problems you mention: the converted documents
look fine and print well, but the minute any change is made, chaos tends to
ensue. So - again as you say - getting to grips with Word is my only
option. Your present advice and many links will be invaluable, as will the
continued patience of other users of this group, I'm sure.

I just have nearly twenty years of WordPerfect (starting with 5.0 for DOS)
to get out of my system...

Bert
http://www.bertcoules.co.uk