Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default How do I reduce header to 2 lines from 6 in Word?

The size of the header is determined by two settings. The Header margin
(File | Page Setup | Layout) determines where the top of the header is. The
Top margin (File | Page Setup | Margins) determines where the document body
ordinarily begins. The space between the header margin and the top margin is
the space usually allocated for a header. But a header can grow to be as
deep as is needed (in the case of a letterhead in a First Page Header, for
example) and will push the document body down.

If you want to allow more space on the page, you can reduce the top and
bottom margins; when you do that, you may also want to reduce the header and
footer margins if your header and footer contain text, to ensure that there
will be some space between the header/footer and the top/bottom of the
document. If you will not have any text in the header or footer, you can
reduce the header and footer margins to 0" and make your top and bottom
margins as small as your printer's printable area will permit.

If your header is taking up more space than its content seems to warrant
(based on the Header and Top margin settings), it may well be that it
contains empty paragraphs or Space Before/After formatting. It is easier to
troubleshoot this if you display nonprinting characters (see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/NonPrintChars.htm). You will see each
paragraph represented by a paragraph mark (ΒΆ). Delete any extra ones.

"TW Lawrence" TW wrote in message
Header takes up too much room at top of page.

How do I reduce size of "Header box" so I can fir more onto a single page
document?