Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Robert

Default how do I type a thin space in Word?

I cannot really say: I am a Windows XP user. But it seems that things work
similarly in both OSes. You have to install support for international
languages if you want to be able to use fonts with "exotic" characters.

Here is from http://hollis.harvard.edu/F/?func=fi...e=help-3#kits:

Installing Language Kits for Mac OS 9
All browsers running under Macintosh OS 9.x require the installation of
Language Kits to provide the fonts necessary to properly display
non-Western European languages.
Insert the Mac OS 9 installation CD
Double click on "Mac OS Install" icon of the installation CD
Continue through the prompts until the "Install Software" dialog box
Click the "Customize" button to display the "Custom installation and
Removal" dialog
Select the Language Kits component (and unselect any other previously
selected components)
Change the installation mode from "None Selected" to "Customized
Installation..."
Select all of the languages, and click "OK" to return to the "Custom
Installation and Removal" dialog
Click the "Start" button
Note that the Language Kit installation may require a restart of the
machine to take effect.

You can also have a look at
http://www.alanwood.net/unicode/fonts_macosx.html. It includes detailed
information on "Unicode fonts for Macintosh OS X computers".

It seems that Word 2004 is the Word version that offers the strongest
support for Unicode characters. Here is from
http://www.alanwood.net/unicode/util...s_macosx.html:

"Microsoft˘s Word 2004 word processor for Mac OS X 10.2.8 onwards uses the
same file format as Word 97, Word 2000, Word 2002 and Word 2003 for
Windows, and is the first version of Word for Mac to make use of the
operating system˘s Unicode support, including the Unicode keyboards and
fonts.
It is supplied with a range of Unicode fonts that enable it to display many
multi-script documents from Word for Windows. However, it does not support
editing of right-to-left scripts (e.g. Arabic and Hebrew) or complex
scripts such as Thai and the Indian languages. The Insert Symbol dialog box
does not show all fonts or all characters, but Apple˘s Character Palette
can be used instead."

Hope this helps.
--
Cheers
Robert

On Fri, 16 Jun 2006 19:37:31 +0000, wavedancer wrote:

Thank you! Some very interesting stuff in there. Now, can I do this on a
Mac?

Robert Wrote:
Greetings--
You have to insert it as a Unicode character:
Unicode Character 'THIN SPACE' (U+2009)
Have a look at the following pages:
http://www.fileformat.info/info/unic...2009/index.htm
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/chars/spaces.html
http://www.microsoft.com/typography/...pec/spaces.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_character
--
Cheers
Robert

On Fri, 16 Jun 2006 08:20:33 +0000, wavedancer wrote:

I need to be able to type a thin space in the expression '37 °C',
between the number and the degrees symbol. How do I achieve this in
Word? I've scoured Word Help to no avail, and I found no reference
it when I searched this forum.

Thank you.