TF

Cut off ones nose to spite ones face springs to mind!

Terry

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
: On many school and library computers, however, saving to the HD is not
: permitted.
:
: --
: Suzanne S. Barnhill
: Microsoft MVP (Word)
: Words into Type
: Fairhope, Alabama USA
: Word MVP FAQ site: http://word.mvps.org
: Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup
so
: all may benefit.
:
: "TF" terryfarrell%40%6d%73%6e%2ecom wrote in message
: ...
: Alasdair
:
: The correct procedure should be to always save to the local hard drive.
: When
: you have finished for the lesson, copy you work to a floppy using
Windows
: Explorer. Vice versa when you have your next lesson, copy your work from
: the
: floppy to the local hard disk first. I'm sure that your tutor will
: understand why. Your experience was a pretty good example of why not!
:
: --
: Terry Farrell - Word MVP
: http://word.mvps.org/
:
: "Alasdair Crockett" wrote in
: message ...
: : Thanks Charles,
: : I will have to give this one to my tutor:-) as we are told to save
: : everything to floppy as they are school computers that we use for
night
: : class,and the kids are always trashing them in some way or another!
: : Regards,
: : Alasdair.
: :
: : "Charles Kenyon" wrote:
: :
: : Note, you should _not_ be dealing with files on a floppy from within
: Word.
: :
: : If you want to be able to use your documents, when working with in
: Word,
: act
: : as if your floppy drive does not exist. (This applies to CDRW/CDR
: drives
: as
: : well.)
: : Don't use Word to:
: : Open a document on a floppy
: : Print a document on a floppy
: : Edit a document on a floppy
: : Save a document to a floppy (not even a copy)
: :
: : Word regularly trashes documents on floppy drives!
: :
: : Instead, work on the document using your hard drive. Copy it back
and
: forth
: : using Windows.
: :
: : I know that for some with shared computers (libraries) this is a
tough
: : prescription. All I can recommend for that is to use a brand new
: formatted
: : disk each time you save and don't do any editing.
: :
: :
: : --
: :
: : Charles Kenyon
: :
: : Word New User FAQ & Web Directory: http://addbalance.com/word
: :
: : Intermediate User's Guide to Microsoft Word (supplemented version of
: : Microsoft's Legal Users' Guide) http://addbalance.com/usersguide
: :
: : See also the MVP FAQ: http://www.mvps.org/word which is awesome!
: : --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- ---------
: : This message is posted to a newsgroup. Please post replies
: : and questions to the newsgroup so that others can learn
: : from my ignorance and your wisdom.
: :
: : "Alasdair Crockett" wrote
: in
: : message ...
: : Thank you both,
: : (Charles & Terry) I found both your answers of use.
: : As A little footnote to this : I sat the first part of my Clait
: Plus
: exam
: : last night and got everything just right in the time allowed(thank
: you
: : guys)
: : then with 5 minutes to go my night class pc locked up and would
not
: let me
: : save my work or print it !(I had been making saves all through the
2
: hour
: : period) The tutor could not even fix the problem and in the end he
: had
: : switch off the pc (Alasdair crys here ;-( ) I lost all my work (as
: would
: : be
: : Expected on win 98) and even my floppy was scrambled except for
: original
: : files but not the new test document! As a cosolation prize I will
be
: : allowed
: : to resit part 1 on Thursday at a different night
: : school. I just hope the pc's there are better than the one i
worked
: on
: : last
: : night.
: : So Thanks again to you all,
: : Kindest Regards,
: : Alasdair.
: : "TF" wrote:
: :
: : That's quite correct but if you have changed the page margins
from
: : Microsoft's defaults, you will need to go into the Headers and
: Footers
: : STYLES and change the tab stops for Centre and Right to fit the
new
: page
: : width.
: :
: : --
: : Terry Farrell - Word MVP
: : http://word.mvps.org/
: :
: :
: : "Charles Kenyon"
wrote
: in
: : message ...
: : : Look at the formatting of the header and footer styles. They
have
: : center
: : : tabs and right tabs set in them by default. This does not
involve
: : alignment!
: : : --
: : :
: : : Charles Kenyon
: : :
: : : --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- ---------
: : : This message is posted to a newsgroup. Please post replies
: : : and questions to the newsgroup so that others can learn
: : : from my ignorance and your wisdom.
: : :
: : : "Alasdair Crockett"
: wrote in
: : : message
: ...
: : : Hi Folks, yet another small problem I am encountering with
: headers &
: : : footers.
: : : (My op system is windows XP pro & WORD 2000, my night class
is
: using
: : : windows
: : : 98)
: : : When I get the" House Style Sheet" for various test papers
the
: header
: : &
: : : footer information is always different, ie:sometimes the
header
: needs
: : : contain canditate name and centre number(alignment centre)
: automatic
: : file
: : : name (aligned right) Footer may be automatic field date,
: English
: : format
: : : (alignment left) automatic page number(aligned
right)etc.(this
: always
: : : varies
: : : with each test paper)my problem is that I cannot insert most
of
: these
: : : items
: : : without the whole thing moving with the insertion of the
second
: : requested
: : : alignment.I can acheive the above by a mixture of tabbing and
: using
: : the
: : : space
: : : bar but I dont think the Examiners when my final test comes
and
: they
: : : toggle
: : : on the pilcrow to see my formatting will appreciate my method
: for
: : : inserting
: : : required alignments! Can anyone
: : : tell me what I am doing wrong ? I have read the article on
: using
: : headers
: : &
: : : footers at earthlink.net but it does not seem to address my
: problem,
: : or
: : : maybe
: : : the way I am doing the insertions is ok. Would someone please
: be
: kind
: : : enough
: : : to put me straight please.