It will probably help if you display nonprinting characters so you can see
where your tab characters are. I suspect that either (a) your text overran
one of the tab stops so that you ended up with too many tab characters or
(b) you inserted the tab characters in the wrong place. Also, keep in mind
that you are not changing the alignment of the paragraph; it remains
left-aligned, but you are inserting tab characters (by pressing Tab) to
align your text at the preset tab stops.

"Alasdair Crockett" wrote in
message ...
Dear Stefan, TF, Charles & Suzanne,
My heartfelt thanks to you all for your advice, Comments, & observations
they are all of intrest for many reasons ( Information, observation, fun &
home truths!)
:-) I thank you one and all. But As I said in an earlier post after
following all the rules and tutorials on header & footers and setting tabs

still found myself with the problem of the mysterious moving of my text
within the header/footer. After inserting my name and candidate # (Centre
Aligned) I had to insert the file name (right aligned) and low and behold

the
centre insertion moved right as well! I followed all the rules in the
header/footer tutorial and the rules on setting Tabs but it made no
difference!! I think I will try the Table insertion Idea and see how that
works, The other disadvantage I was at was that I was using an obsolete

(well
to me anyway) operating system which I had never used before and that was
Windows 95!( I had to resit part 1 of my exam at a different centre) I am
more than sure I will be back asking you more questions on this subject or
letting you all know if I've managed to solve my mysterious little

problem,
I sit part 2 of my Clait Plus exam on Tue 8th of Feb and will let you all
know how it went .
Thanks once again for all your patience, advice & observations they are

all
very much appreciated,
Kindest Regards to you all,
Alasdair.
"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

It's amazing how seldom users seem to get into trouble. I attribute this

to:

1. Creating relatively brief documents (letters, short papers).

2. Saving infrequently (often not at all until the document is

complete).

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"TF" terryfarrell%40%6d%73%6e%2ecom wrote in message
Cut off ones nose to spite ones face springs to mind!

Terry

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
: On many school and library computers, however, saving to the HD is

not
: permitted.
:
: --
: Suzanne S. Barnhill
: Microsoft MVP (Word)
: Words into Type
: Fairhope, Alabama USA
: Word MVP FAQ site: http://word.mvps.org
: Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the

newsgroup
so
: all may benefit.
:
: "TF" terryfarrell%40%6d%73%6e%2ecom wrote in message
: ...
: Alasdair
:
: The correct procedure should be to always save to the local hard

drive.
: When
: you have finished for the lesson, copy you work to a floppy using
Windows
: Explorer. Vice versa when you have your next lesson, copy your

work
from
: the
: floppy to the local hard disk first. I'm sure that your tutor will
: understand why. Your experience was a pretty good example of why

not!
:
: --
: Terry Farrell - Word MVP
: http://word.mvps.org/
:
: "Alasdair Crockett"

wrote
in
: message ...
: : Thanks Charles,
: : I will have to give this one to my tutor:-) as we are told to

save
: : everything to floppy as they are school computers that we use

for
night
: : class,and the kids are always trashing them in some way or

another!
: : Regards,
: : Alasdair.
: :
: : "Charles Kenyon" wrote:
: :
: : Note, you should _not_ be dealing with files on a floppy from

within
: Word.
: :
: : If you want to be able to use your documents, when working

with in
: Word,
: act
: : as if your floppy drive does not exist. (This applies to

CDRW/CDR
: drives
: as
: : well.)
: : Don't use Word to:
: : Open a document on a floppy
: : Print a document on a floppy
: : Edit a document on a floppy
: : Save a document to a floppy (not even a copy)
: :
: : Word regularly trashes documents on floppy drives!
: :
: : Instead, work on the document using your hard drive. Copy it

back
and
: forth
: : using Windows.
: :
: : I know that for some with shared computers (libraries) this is

tough
: : prescription. All I can recommend for that is to use a brand

new
: formatted
: : disk each time you save and don't do any editing.
: :
: :
: : --
: :
: : Charles Kenyon
: :
: : Word New User FAQ & Web Directory: http://addbalance.com/word
: :
: : Intermediate User's Guide to Microsoft Word (supplemented

version
of
: : Microsoft's Legal Users' Guide)

http://addbalance.com/usersguide
: :
: : See also the MVP FAQ: http://www.mvps.org/word which is

awesome!
: : --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- ---------
: : This message is posted to a newsgroup. Please post replies
: : and questions to the newsgroup so that others can learn
: : from my ignorance and your wisdom.
: :
: : "Alasdair Crockett"

wrote
: in
: : message

: : Thank you both,
: : (Charles & Terry) I found both your answers of use.
: : As A little footnote to this : I sat the first part of my

Clait
: Plus
: exam
: : last night and got everything just right in the time

allowed(thank
: you
: : guys)
: : then with 5 minutes to go my night class pc locked up and

would
not
: let me
: : save my work or print it !(I had been making saves all

through
the
2
: hour
: : period) The tutor could not even fix the problem and in the

end
he
: had
: : switch off the pc (Alasdair crys here ;-( ) I lost all my

work
(as
: would
: : be
: : Expected on win 98) and even my floppy was scrambled except

for
: original
: : files but not the new test document! As a cosolation prize I

will
be
: : allowed
: : to resit part 1 on Thursday at a different night
: : school. I just hope the pc's there are better than the one i
worked
: on
: : last
: : night.
: : So Thanks again to you all,
: : Kindest Regards,
: : Alasdair.
: : "TF" wrote:
: :
: : That's quite correct but if you have changed the page

margins
from
: : Microsoft's defaults, you will need to go into the Headers

and
: Footers
: : STYLES and change the tab stops for Centre and Right to fit

the
new
: page
: : width.
: :
: : --
: : Terry Farrell - Word MVP
: : http://word.mvps.org/
: :
: :
: : "Charles Kenyon"

wrote
: in
: : message ...
: : : Look at the formatting of the header and footer styles.

They
have
: : center
: : : tabs and right tabs set in them by default. This does not
involve
: : alignment!
: : : --
: : :
: : : Charles Kenyon
: : :
: : : Word New User FAQ & Web Directory:

http://addbalance.com/word
: : :
: : : Intermediate User's Guide to Microsoft Word (supplemented
version
: of
: : : Microsoft's Legal Users' Guide)
http://addbalance.com/usersguide
: : :
: : : See also the MVP FAQ: http://www.mvps.org/word which is
awesome!
: :

: : : This message is posted to a newsgroup. Please post