Alasdair Crockett

Thanks Terry & Suzanne,
I bet you must think I am very slow on the uptake!well sometimes I am :-)
Your advice is very clear cut Terry & backed up by Suzanne I cant go wrong.
I think you should produce an "Idiots Style Guide"for "Monkeys" the monkey
in this case being ME!
(For information Terry I am using Word 2000.)
Your Instructions are very clear cut and for that I thank you.
Kindest Regards to you both,
Alasdair.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

As Terry has said (and as I had attempted to say but evidently wasn't clear
enough), there is no need to change the *paragraph* alignment at all. The
paragraph remains left-aligned. You just insert tab characters to place your
centered and right-aligned text at the tab stops provided for this purpose.

"Alasdair Crockett" wrote in
message ...
Thanks Suzanne,
I always use the Pilcrow to display non printing characters so I can see
where my tab characters are and to check the rest of my document but I

still
remain in the dark as to why when the tabs are set correctly my centre
insertion always moves to the right when I insert the "document name"to

the
right, so it looks like,
"Alasdair Crockett,26947.Climate." My name & candidate #" should be Centre
aligned and the document name "climate" should be right aligned but when

enter right align the whole lot moves right! As a point of intrest even my
tutor who is himself studying for his first teaching certificate cant

resolve
this issue for me either!
I think I will just have to try the "Columns Idea" or just muddle through
with a mixture of tabbing, spacebar & deleting space bar dots etc till I

get
required Information in the right places!
Thanks again for your valuable help,
Regards,
Alasdair.
"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

It will probably help if you display nonprinting characters so you can

see
where your tab characters are. I suspect that either (a) your text

overran
one of the tab stops so that you ended up with too many tab characters

or
(b) you inserted the tab characters in the wrong place. Also, keep in

mind
that you are not changing the alignment of the paragraph; it remains
left-aligned, but you are inserting tab characters (by pressing Tab) to
align your text at the preset tab stops.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Alasdair Crockett" wrote in
message ...
Dear Stefan, TF, Charles & Suzanne,
My heartfelt thanks to you all for your advice, Comments, &

observations
they are all of intrest for many reasons ( Information, observation,

fun &
home truths!)
:-) I thank you one and all. But As I said in an earlier post after
following all the rules and tutorials on header & footers and setting

tabs
still found myself with the problem of the mysterious moving of my

text
within the header/footer. After inserting my name and candidate #

(Centre
Aligned) I had to insert the file name (right aligned) and low and

behold
the
centre insertion moved right as well! I followed all the rules in the
header/footer tutorial and the rules on setting Tabs but it made no
difference!! I think I will try the Table insertion Idea and see how

that
works, The other disadvantage I was at was that I was using an

obsolete
(well
to me anyway) operating system which I had never used before and that

was
Windows 95!( I had to resit part 1 of my exam at a different centre) I

am
more than sure I will be back asking you more questions on this

subject or
letting you all know if I've managed to solve my mysterious little
problem,
I sit part 2 of my Clait Plus exam on Tue 8th of Feb and will let you

all
know how it went .
Thanks once again for all your patience, advice & observations they

are
all
very much appreciated,
Kindest Regards to you all,
Alasdair.
"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

It's amazing how seldom users seem to get into trouble. I attribute

this
to:

1. Creating relatively brief documents (letters, short papers).

2. Saving infrequently (often not at all until the document is
complete).

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"TF" terryfarrell%40%6d%73%6e%2ecom wrote in message
Cut off ones nose to spite ones face springs to mind!

Terry

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
: On many school and library computers, however, saving to the HD

is
not
: permitted.
:
: --
: Suzanne S. Barnhill
: Microsoft MVP (Word)
: Words into Type
: Fairhope, Alabama USA
: Word MVP FAQ site: http://word.mvps.org
: Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the
newsgroup
so
: all may benefit.
:
: "TF" terryfarrell%40%6d%73%6e%2ecom wrote in message
: ...
: Alasdair
:
: The correct procedure should be to always save to the local

hard
drive.
: When
: you have finished for the lesson, copy you work to a floppy

using
Windows
: Explorer. Vice versa when you have your next lesson, copy your
work
from
: the
: floppy to the local hard disk first. I'm sure that your tutor

will
: understand why. Your experience was a pretty good example of

why
not!
:
: --
: Terry Farrell - Word MVP
: http://word.mvps.org/
:
: "Alasdair Crockett"
wrote
in
: message

: : Thanks Charles,
: : I will have to give this one to my tutor:-) as we are told

save
: : everything to floppy as they are school computers that we

use
for
night
: : class,and the kids are always trashing them in some way or
another!
: : Regards,
: : Alasdair.
: :
: : "Charles Kenyon" wrote:
: :
: : Note, you should _not_ be dealing with files on a floppy

from
within
: Word.
: :
: : If you want to be able to use your documents, when working
with in
: Word,
: act
: : as if your floppy drive does not exist. (This applies to
CDRW/CDR
: drives
: as
: : well.)
: : Don't use Word to:
: : Open a document on a floppy
: : Print a document on a floppy
: : Edit a document on a floppy
: : Save a document to a floppy (not even a copy)
: :
: : Word regularly trashes documents on floppy drives!
: :
: : Instead, work on the document using your hard drive. Copy

it
back
and
: forth
: : using Windows.
: :
: : I know that for some with shared computers (libraries)

this is
tough
: : prescription. All I can recommend for that is to use a

brand
new
: formatted
: : disk each time you save and don't do any editing.
: :
: :
: : --
: :
: : Charles Kenyon
: :
: : Word New User FAQ & Web Directory:

http://addbalance.com/word
: :
: : Intermediate User's Guide to Microsoft Word (supplemented
version
of
: : Microsoft's Legal Users' Guide)
http://addbalance.com/usersguide
: :
: : See also the MVP FAQ: http://www.mvps.org/word which is
awesome!
: :

: : This message is posted to a newsgroup. Please post replies
: : and questions to the newsgroup so that others can learn
: : from my ignorance and your wisdom.
: :
: : "Alasdair Crockett"

wrote
: in
: : message
: : Thank you both,
: : (Charles & Terry) I found both your answers of use.
: : As A little footnote to this : I sat the first part of

my
Clait
: Plus
: exam
: : last night and got everything just right in the time
allowed(thank
: you
: : guys)
: : then with 5 minutes to go my night class pc locked up

and
would
not
: let me
: : save my work or print it !(I had been making saves all
through
the
2
: hour
: : period) The tutor could not even fix the problem and in

the
end
he
: had
: : switch off the pc (Alasdair crys here ;-( ) I lost all

my
work
(as
: would
: : be
: : Expected on win 98) and even my floppy was scrambled

except
for
: original
: : files but not the new test document! As a cosolation

prize I
will
be
: : allowed
: : to resit part 1 on Thursday at a different night
: : school. I just hope the pc's there are better than the

one i
worked
: on
: : last
: : night.
: : So Thanks again to you all,
: : Kindest Regards,
: : Alasdair.
: : "TF" wrote:
: :
: : That's quite correct but if you have changed the page
margins
from
: : Microsoft's defaults, you will need to go into the

Headers
and
: Footers
: : STYLES and change the tab stops for Centre and Right to

fit
the
new
: page
: : width.
: :
: : --
: : Terry Farrell - Word MVP
: : http://word.mvps.org/
: :
: :
: : "Charles Kenyon"

wrote
: in
: : message ...
: : : Look at the formatting of the header and footer

styles.
They
have
: : center
: : : tabs and right tabs set in them by default. This does

not
involve
: : alignment!
: : : --
: : :
: : : Charles Kenyon
: : :
: : : Word New User FAQ & Web Directory:
http://addbalance.com/word
: : :
: : : Intermediate User's Guide to Microsoft Word

(supplemented
version
: of
: : : Microsoft's Legal Users' Guide)
http://addbalance.com/usersguide
: : :
: : : See also the MVP FAQ: http://www.mvps.org/word which

is
awesome!
: :
: : : This message is posted to a newsgroup. Please post