Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Default How do I reduce header to 2 lines from 6 in Word?

And if all else fails - rename normal.dot to normal.old

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
Have you checked to make sure that "Vertical alignment" (Layout tab
of Page Setup) is set to Top and not Center?

"Jaxon Ames" wrote in message
Graham,

I checked the formatting and the spacing after paragraphs was set to
"0", so
I really don't know what is going on. Also, I have checked for
invisible paragraph markers and there are none. Every time I open
up word there is a
6" header, and Word didn't do that until I opened up a document that
had those settings... now it does it every time. Please let me know
if there is
anything else I can do... I have done everything that Office Online
has suggested with tutorials and such.

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

SHIFT+F1 or format style with the cursor in the relevant
paragraph. --

Jaxon Ames wrote:
How do I examine the formatting? Does this apply in Word 2003?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Have you examined the formatting of the header paragraph(s) to see
if there is any Spacing After?

newsgroup so all may benefit.

"ahimsa" wrote in message
I have 1.2" of extra (blank) space in my header; there are no
hidden characters to account for the blank space. How can I
change the dimensions of the header 'box'?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

The size of the header is determined by two settings. The Header
margin (File | Page Setup | Layout) determines where the top of
the header is. The Top margin (File | Page Setup | Margins)
determines where the document body ordinarily begins. The space
between the header margin and the top margin is the space
usually allocated for a header. But a header can grow to be as
deep as is needed (in the case of a letterhead in a First Page
Header, for example) and will push the document body down.

If you want to allow more space on the page, you can reduce the
top and bottom margins; when you do that, you may also want to
reduce the header and footer margins if your header and footer
contain text, to ensure that there will be some space between
the header/footer and the top/bottom of the document. If you
will not have any text in the header or footer, you can reduce
the header and footer margins to 0" and make your top and
bottom margins as small as your printer's printable area will
permit. If your header is taking up more space than its content
seems to
warrant (based on the Header and Top margin settings), it may
well be that it contains empty paragraphs or Space Before/After
formatting. It is easier to troubleshoot this if you display
nonprinting characters (see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/NonPrintChars.htm). You
will see each paragraph represented by a paragraph mark (¶).
Delete any extra ones.

newsgroup so all may benefit.

"TW Lawrence" TW wrote in
message
Header takes up too much room at top of page.

How do I reduce size of "Header box" so I can fir more onto a
single page document?