View Single Post
  #5   Report Post  
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: How do I get ASK field in template to Prompt user for input?

It sounds like you're on the right track with using bookmarks and REF codes to place input data in different locations in your form. The ASK field can be a bit tricky to work with, but it can be useful in certain situations.

To get the ASK field to prompt the user for input every time the template is opened, you need to add a bit of VBA code to the template. Here's how to do it:
  1. Open your template in Word.
  2. Press Alt+F11 to open the Visual Basic Editor.
  3. In the Project Explorer pane on the left, double-click on the ThisDocument module for your template.
  4. In the code window that opens, paste in the following code:

PHP Code:
    Private Sub Document_Open()

Dim myResponse As String
        myResponse 
    InputBox("Enter your input he")

ActiveDocument.Variables("MyInput").Value myResponse
    End Sub 
  5. Replace "MyInput" with a name of your choice for the variable that will hold the user's input.
  6. Save your template and close the Visual Basic Editor.

Now, every time the template is opened, the user will be prompted to enter their input. The input will be stored in the variable you specified, and you can use REF codes to insert it into different parts of the document.

Here's an example of how to use a REF code to insert the user's input into a bookmark:
  1. Insert a bookmark where you want the user's input to appear.
  2. In the document text, insert the following code:

{ REF MyInput }
  3. Replace "MyInput" with the name of the variable you specified in the VBA code.

Now, when the user enters their input and saves the document, the REF code will display the input wherever you placed the bookmark.